Saturday, July 16, 2011

Birthday Hair: Flexirod Set

For your Birthday party today I wanted to do your first flexirod set. I probably should have tried it out before today just to see if I would like it or not. I wasn't completely happy with the results we got but everyone said you looked cute. The curls were not as elongated as I'd hoped and didn't fall like I'd hoped. I think I should have gotten bigger rods. But I think with more practice we'll find a way of rolling them so that we will  really love the results.

How we did it:
I washed and detangled your hair. I didn't band or braid your hair to stretch it because I knew the flexirods would stretch it enough. I also rolled it wet because your hair isn't that thick and because you would be wearing them overnight. Once I finished detangling your hair I sectioned it off with my fingers into about 1 inch sections. I applied Eco Styler Gel to the section and then combed with a fine toothed comb to distribute the product evenly. I curled the ends of your hair around the flexirod a few times to hold it in place (pictured below).
Wrap some hair around the ends to secure.


 
I then spiral curled it up pulling it down toward the floor at an angle. I left a small space as I curled the hair to try to help elongate the curl (pictured below).

This picture was taken the day after your party. Normally the hair would be as smooth as possible for rolling.



  Once I finished rolling your hair I didn't touch it (or let you touch it) and you went to sleep on a satin pillow case.



The next morning I took the flexirods out. Sorry I don't have a picture of your hair right after taking them out but we were on a time crunch to get to the party. Before separating them I dipped my fingertips in some E.V.O.O. (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) to help smooth the hair so not to create frizz and hoping it would help weigh the hair down some. I separated each curl into about 3-6 curls depending on the size of the section. To finish I just fluffed your roots and added a headband and flower!
This was your hair after a day of bowling, playing arcade games and riding your new scooter.
I think it looks good and is nice and shiny!


  To try to maintain your curls you slept with your hair pulled up in a high pony with an ouchless holder. I didn't worry about smoothing your hair into the pony because I didn't want to destroy the curl. I also didn't wrap the pony holder, I just put it on there so it doesn't create a dent in the hair.



Hopefully the curls will hold up through the night and maybe even fall a little!

No comments:

Post a Comment